How Air Pollution Poses Largest Threat to Children
Air pollution is bad for all of us. Poor indoor air quality affects your health in many ways — from lack of sleep to poor work performance. Unfortunately, children are among the most affected. It is key to know how air quality affects children and how the impact can be limited.
Why Children Are Most Affected by Poor Air Quality
Children breathe much more air than adults since their lungs are not fully developed. Their lungs will fully develop during their teenage years. But until then, children will breathe in higher quantities of pollutants than adults. Thus, their ability to fight infections is lower, and pollution has adverse effects on their health. Additionally, physical factors predispose children to poor air quality. Adults will spend most of their time in the office. Children, on the other hand, will spend hours playing outdoors where there is a high risk of pollution.
Health Effects of Air Pollution on Children
Most children are not affected by short term peaks of air pollution. However, children with underlying health conditions are affected by short-term exposure to air pollution. Long-term exposure to polluted air has the following effects on children:
- Long-term exposure to air pollution causes breathing problems in children. When they become adults, these children can suffer from reduced lung functions.
- When pregnant women are exposed to air pollution, the fetus could suffer from reduced brain development. After birth, the child might suffer from behavioral and cognitive problems.
- Air pollution acts as a catalyst for diabetes and obesity in children. Children exposed to high levels of pollution have lower insulin sensitivity.
How to Protect Your Child From Air Pollution
As a parent, it is essential for you to develop plans to protect your child from air pollution. Here is a guide to follow:
- Limit the time you spend in known polluted areas.
- Spend more time in green and open spaces in your community.
- Harness technology to monitor indoor air pollution.
- Use an air purifier in your home.
For more help, reach out to the trained professionals at ACR Air Conditioning & Heating in Lake Charles, LA. We offer air purifier maintenance, repair, and installation services. Our crew can also handle duct cleanings and HVAC installations. Call us today to learn more.